Friday, October 18, 2013

Guest Blogger...It's all in the name.....Brad from Fair Judy's tells us how he came up with his!


Why is your business named Fair Judy’s? I get this question in some form or another all the time and I get it…I’m a young guy and it doesn’t make too much sense does it? Well like many things in life, there is always a reason.  So why Fair Judy’s? Well, here is the story:
Like many kids, my Mom would take me on day trips over the summer breaks from school. She would always ask me if I wanted to go to the waterpark, Canada’s Wonderland or some other typical fun kid thing. Being the history nerd I am I would opt for the Black Creek Pioneer Village, Saint Mary among the Hurons, or to see the tall ships and settlements in Penetanguishene.  When you embark on these road trips you usually find yourself passing through some small towns with great antique stores scattered throughout southern Ontario. My Mom, being a collector herself, would often like stopping at these stores to see if she could find some treasures to bring home and I would tag along of course.
Like many kids not all the trips were of my choosing and often I would be brought along to weekend antique markets and festivals to save my Mom a babysitter as my Dad did shift work. From all of these experiences I developed a passion for collecting and it’s been with me ever since. It started with Coke collectibles and comic books and now it has grown to movie posters, board games, sports equipment, anything baseball and trophies; not to mention some obscure pieces I just can’t bring myself to sell. 

While on trips where I was either adding to my collection or finding vintage furniture for my condo, I thought why don’t I buy a little more and try to sell it back in the city. After much success I decided to start my own antique and vintage business; now I just needed a name. I always wanted to offer antiques and vintage pieces at fair prices, but what name would encompass this and still pay homage to the person that nurtured my passion for collecting. It was actually my girlfriend who came up with the name Fair Judy’s. If you haven’t already guessed, my mother’s name was Judy.  Unfortunately my mother is no longer with us having lost a long battle with cancer 5 years ago. I wouldn’t be a collector if it wasn’t for her as she not only introduced me to antiques and collecting but she also put up with it. I remember her standing on our porch as her son would round the corner with a wagon full of our neighbours’ junk   during the spring garbage days and simply smile as I yelled to her “Hey Mom, Look what they were going to throw out!” 
The antique and vintage business is tough and spending Saturday night’s packing up a van only to then wake up early on Sunday to unpack and set up at the Flea isn’t easy, but all I have to do is look at the Fair Judy’s sign hanging in my booth and know that somewhere my Mom is looking down and smiling. That’s why my business is called Fair Judy’s. 

Hope you'll pop by to say hello this Sunday, October 20th at the Leslieville Flea located at Queen and Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment